Approximately 434,000 U.S. children between one and five years of age have blood lead levels greater than recommended for healthy growth and development. Lead poisoning can affect nearly every system in the body. Because lead poisoning often occurs with no obvious symptoms, it frequently goes unrecognized. Lead poisoning can cause learning disabilities and behavioral problems. At very high levels it can cause seizures, coma, and even death.
Children under the age of six are most at risk as they are growing so rapidly and because they tend to put their hands or other objects in their mouths. Children of any economic or social level can be affected by lead poisoning.