Planning & Zoning

Welcome to the Jefferson County Planning & Zoning Department website. You are in the right place if you are looking for...

This is also where you will apply for the following in the unincorporated area of Jefferson County:

This is also where you will find information on the current development proposals in the unincorporated County and the Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals, including the minutes and agendas.

Zoning Map

View zoning layers on the map. Once the map opens, click on the arrow next to 'Jefferson Co. Base Layers' in the layer list at the right of the map. Then check the box next to the 'Zoning' layer.

Water, Wastewater, County Road and KDOT info

For information about obtaining a wastewater permit in Jefferson County please call the Health Dept. at 785-403-0025.

Our office can help you determine what Rural Water District you may be located in or you can use the online map link above to look up your property and then click on the Rural Water District layer at the right of the map from the drop down menu. For contact information for the Rural Water Districts in Jefferson County click here

For permitted access requirements from a County road you can call the Jefferson County Road and Bridge Dept at 785-403-0279. That department is who handles the 911 addressing for the County. New addresses are not given out unless there is an active building permit for a new dwelling for a property.

For permitted access requirements from a State highway system please see the map here and then the contact information is here depending on whose district you are located in.

Are you stuck?

All the above information can be found within one of the menu items to the left. We also have some Frequently Asked Questions and Quick Links to the right.

Still, have questions or can't find the information you are looking for? You are then encouraged to send us an email, and we will be glad to assist you.