Listed below are the general requirements for recording documents in the Register of Deeds Office. If the filing requirements are not met, the document could be rejected, which will delay processing time.
- Submit an original or certified copy. We do not accept photocopies.
- The document should be signed and names typed or printed under all signatures. An additional fee of $1 per document will be charged (K.S.A. 28-115) if the names are not typed or printed under the signatures.
- The document should be properly notarized and include the state and county name, signature, seal expiration date.
- Include a complete legal description on the document if it pertains to land records. The abbreviated property description from tax statements cannot be used.
- The document should be of sufficient legibility to produce a clear reproduction.
- Payment can be made by cash, check, or money order payable to the Register of Deeds.
- A 2.5-inch margin at the top of the page is appreciated.
- Filing fees are required at the time of recording and are set by state statute. For more information, see the Fee Schedule.
For more information, please contact the Register of Deeds Office at (785) 403-0000 Ext. 5.