If a backup of sewage does occur, the following steps should be taken to clean up the area:
- First, remove the remaining standing water. Materials which have been water-soaked should be removed from the basement. Such items could include bedding, rugs, upholstered furniture, boxes, carpeting and padding, and papers.
- With the electricity turned off, electrical outlets should be opened and drained and allowed to dry. Duct work should also be drained and allowed to dry.
- Walls and hard-surfaced floors should be cleaned with soap and water and disinfected with a solution of ½ cup of bleach to one gallon of water. Thoroughly disinfect any food service areas or areas where children play.
- Wash all linens in hot water or have them dry cleaned. Steam clean all carpeting, if salvageable. If not, discard. All carpet padding should be discarded.
- If insulation and drywall have become wet it will need to be removed. Allow plenty of time for drying before reinstalling insulation to prevent mildew.
For more information, contact the Health Department at (785) 863-2447.