Quality Child Care
What is Quality Child Care?
Quality child care can be found when a child care provider or facility is following the state regulations; goes above and beyond those minimum requirements; and has a safe, clean, positive, and healthy environment for the children in care, and all staff interact well with children, for the well-being and positive development of the children in care.
Tips for Parents When Interviewing Prospective Child Care Providers
- Look for a posted Kansas Child Care License for that address. Look at health and safety issues. What are diaper changing procedures? Does adequate hand washing occur as children are cared for? Is there sufficient and safe play equipment available for children? Is the outdoor play area in a safe location and free of hazards? Are sharp objects, medications, chemicals, and other poisons stored out of the reach of children?
- Watch how the provider interacts with the children. Is it positive, pleasant, and encouraging of healthy child development? No smoking should be allowed in the facility.
- Watch how children approach and interact with the provider. Notice how other parents interact with the provider.
- How many staff members work at the facility? How will emergency injuries or emergency situations be handled?
- Is the facility in a location convenient to the parents? Will travel to and from the facility be an additional stressor of each day for parents?
For more pointers on selecting child care visit the Kansas Department of Health and Environment