Becoming A Home-Based Daycare

  • Prior to applying for a license, you must first contact the Jefferson County Child Care Licensing Surveyor to complete an orientation session.
  • The license is usually issued for the provider's own home but may be issued at a location other than the provider's home.
  • The licensee must be 18 years of age, a high school graduate or the equivalent (GED), have an understanding of children, complete certified first aid and CPR as well as child care related professional development training.
  • A KBI criminal history and child abuse and neglect background check is processed on all persons living, working or volunteering in the licensed day care home.
  • The licensed day care home is inspected to check compliance with regulations to protect the health, safety and well-being of the children in care at least once every 12 months.
  • Child Care Aware, the local Child Care Resource and Referral Agency for Jefferson County, at 785-357-5171 is also a good resource for information on starting up an in-home business.
Interested persons can obtain an application and regulations from the Jefferson County Health Dept. during business hours. Applications are also available to print or apply online at the Kansas Department of Health & Environment's website.