Protest Petitions

If you own property which lies within 1,000 feet of a proposed rezoning or conditional use permit (CUP) located in unincorporated Jefferson County and you oppose the rezoning or CUP, you may file a protest petition in opposition to it. Once the protest petitions are submitted to the County Clerk, they will be presented to the Governing Body when the subject zone change or Conditional Use Permit is considered. If the petition is found to be valid, approval of the rezoning or Conditional Use Permit will require a three-fourths majority vote of all of the members of the Board of County Commissioners (because there are three members of the Board, this means unanimous approval, rather than a simple majority).